Protecting Your Local San Diego Move
As required by State Law, Priority Moving, Inc. offers Basic Coverage at no additional charge to you. This coverage limits the mover's liability to 60 cents per pound for loss or damage items.
Priority Moving San Diego Movers also offers Actual Cash Value coverage at an additional cost. Actual cash value is fair market value or sometimes referred to as "bluebook" value. The rate for this protection is 75 cents per $100 of declared valuation. There is a minimum declared valuation of $35K for Actual Cash Value coverage.
Full Value Coverage
Full Value Coverage protects recovery at the full or "replacement" value. If you are interested in this level of coverage for your move, please contact either MovingInsurance.com or Baker Household Goods Insurance. Both specialize in, and can provide replacement cost coverage at additional cost.
MovingInsurance.com is an innovative provider of online moving insurance. We offer insurance for household moves and commercial relocations from the nation's top insurance providers to ensure that our clients get the coverage they need. Moving Insurance, LLC is licensed to sell moving insurance domestically in 50 states, as well as worldwide.
Toll free at 888-893-8835 or www.movinginsurance.com
Since 1981 Baker International has provided comprehensive household goodsinsurance to meet the needs of corporate transferees and private individualsmoving within the U.S. or overseas while concurrently providing "in-house" world class claim service.
Toll free at 800-356-0093 or www.bakerintl.com
What is insurance?
Insurance is a system of protection against loss in which an individual agrees to pay a certain sum for a guarantee that they will be compensated under stipulated conditions for any specified loss. It is a contract guaranteeing such protection.
- Insured/Assured: a person whose property is insured against loss.
- Insurer: a company that insures others against loss or damage: underwriter.
Why should I purchase insurance instead of valuation?
There are many reasons to consider insurance instead of valuation:
- In the case of our All Risk insurance type, insurance provides a Full Replacement Value coverage, meaning it will compensate for the replacement value of the damaged or lost item. Valuation will pay the Actual Cash Value of the item, meaning, the depreciated value only. In case of our Total Loss Only type, insurance will compensate the total insured amount, less the deductible. Valuation programs offer limited coverage and will not provide full compensation.
- Insurance will offer protection against "Acts of God" (e.g. floods, tornadoes, lightning strikes, etc.) and will cover you specifically for the items listed on your contract at their replacement cost.
- When buying insurance, you will receive an actual Certificate of Insurance from a leading insurance company as a proof for your coverage, rather than a note on your Bill Of Lading when purchasing the valuation.
- When you purchase valuation, you purchase it from the vendor which provides you with the moving service. By purchasing actual insurance coverage, you are obtaining the service of an independent, third party insurance company.
- Insurance will cover your household goods for a period of up to 90 days (depending on your choice of insurance carrier) while in transit or in storage, including when being hauled by a subcontracted carrier different from your original mover. In addition, you can extend your coverage by purchasing a Storage Extension so your coverage will not lapse while in storage. Valuation does not offer this coverage.
Doesn't my homeowner/renters' policy cover my items for the move?
Most homeowners' insurance policies do not provide coverage for your household goods for moving purposes. However, you should check with your own insurance agent to see if your existing homeowner/ renters' policy covers your goods while in transit. Be sure you have a written statement from your insurance company stating that your goods are covered while in transit. Often, you will find that your goods are covered against damages while the movers are in your home packing, but not while the goods are in the movers' possession.